Richard G Saxon CBE
Chairman of the Joint Contracts Tribunal
Richard Saxon is one of the foremost thinkers in the construction industry“says Don Ward, Chief Executive of Constructing Excellence in the Built Environment. In 2001 Richard was awarded the CBE for “services to architecture and construction” , recognising his work for the modernisation of the industry and the greater satisfaction of customers. Richard is the former chairman of one of the UK’s largest firms of international architects, designers and engineers, BDP. He now acts a client and business adviser.
- 2016. RIBA Publishing releases ‘BIM for Construction Clients’
- 2015. Becomes Chairman of the Joint Contracts Tribunal.
- 2015. Made an associate director of Deploi BIM Strategies.
- 2013- Appointed non executive director of BLP Insurance Ltd
- 2013 Admitted as a Fellow of the RICS by invitation
- 2012. Appointed to the government BIM Steering Group and made UK BIM Ambassador for Growth 2012-13. Writes ‘Growth through BIM’, published by CIC
- 2010: Member of the government Low Carbon Construction Innovation and Growth Team (IGT)
- 2007-12: Member of the Independent Dispute Avoidance Panel for London 2012.
- 2006-10: Member of the Research Reference Group of the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).
- 2006-14: Executive Board member of the Construction Industry Council and champion for research, innovation and knowledge.
- 2005- Principal, Consultancy for the Built Environment, a client adviser and professional practice consultant; accredited RIBA Client Adviser; clients include Hoares Bank, London Borough of Bexley, Big Lottery Co, Office of Government Commerce, Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), EC Harris LLP, Aaron Evans Architects, Gleeds, Laing O’Rourke, BDP, Cartwright Pickard Architects, Willmott Dixon, RIBA.
- 2004-16: Member, University of Cambridge Building Committee.
- 2002-8 Vice President, Royal Institute of British Architects; chairman of the Practice Committee
- 2002-8; Member of the RIBA Professional Services Board 2002-8, chairman 2007-8. Member RIBA Holdings Board 2007-8.
- 1999-2005 Chairman of the Reading Construction Forum (RCF), a cross-industry reform body convened in 1995 by Sir Nigel Mobbs to respond to the Latham Review of construction. It merged in 2002 with the Design Build Foundation (DBF) to form ‘Be, Collaborating for the Built Environment’, also chaired by Richard. His report, ‘Be Valuable, a guide to creating value in the built environment’, was published in 2005 by Constructing Excellence, with who Be merged that year.
- 1990-96 Founder, now life member of the British Council for Offices, the cross-industry society for the study and improvement of the workplace; sixth President 1995-6.
- 1977-2005 Partner, later director of BDP (Building Design Partnership) the international multi-discipline practice responsible for 2% of the UK’s new commercial and public buildings; Chairman 1996-2002; Award-winning work includes the master plan for the All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon, 1992-3, completed in 2012 for the Olympics; Adam Opel HQ, Ruesselsheim, Germany 1997; JP Morgan HQ, London, 1991; Milburngate Centre, Durham, 1978; Halifax Building Society HQ, Halifax 1974, Listed Grade II 2013.
Qualifications, Affiliations and Honours:
B.Arch (1st Class Honours, Liverpool); MCD (Master of Civic design); Member, Royal Institute of British Architects; Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors; Member, Institute of Directors; Member, Chartered Management Institute; Fellow, Royal Society of Arts; Past Master of the Worshipful Company of Chartered Architects; Former Chairman, City Architecture Forum; Associate Member of the Bond (President 2009-10); CBE for services to architecture and construction.